Monday, June 11, 2012

Taphophile Tragics # 25

My heart was pounding in my chest, my mouth parched. I had my research clutched in my hand as I entered Kew Cemetery. Would today be any more successful than the day before at Springvale Botannical? A headstone. A headstone. My kingdom for a headstone.

Yes, I had found the resting place of my great-grandfather's sisters, Mary Louisa and Emma Kezia, but beneath grass, sans headstone. What did Kew have to divulge to me for the resting place of my great-great-grandparents, John Dunstan Tonkin and Jane Forrest Gibson? Passing into the Independent A section, my eyes search for graves 888 and 889 ...

* * * * *
Welcome to the 25th week of Taphophile Tragics.

Your contribution is most welcome. Please ensure that you include some details of the cemetery in which you took your photographs, and link directly to your post, rather than simply to your blog in general. This week, Mr Linky opens at 8:30pm Monday, Sydney time (GMT+10), and closes at 10pm on the Friday. When you can, please visit the other contributing bloggers to show your appreciation of their endeavours. Due to time zone variations and overcrowded schedules, some contributions are made later than Tuesday/Wednesday. As per usual, we are working with the Linky with thumbnails, and displaying the oldest entry first, with no randomising.

11 comments:

Dina said...

You're getting close--669. I'm anxious to see the next installment in your detective adventure!
I love the photos.

Unknown said...

Great details. Love the rust.

diane b said...

So did you find them??

Dina said...

Oh, now I see the happy end in your other blog!
Congratulations.

Francisca said...

Quite the mission you are on, Julie! The numbered grave spots are a little sad... like numbers on a parking lot, or prisoner's tunics... nameless. I hope you don't mind that I link to an old post. Only one of our regular taphophiles has seen it. It's been a heavy work with with not a moment to blog. So I still need to catch up with last week, too.

PJ said...

I've just started researching my family tree. It can be very exciting and quite mysterious...

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love your words describing your voyage of discovery! Very dramatic!

Julie said...

Family trees are the most fulfilling of hobbies. I have another two cemeteries to go yet. And I know there are headstones involved.

The ones without headstones are very moving, too, as I figure it is life-circumstances that prevent headstones, rather than choice. I come from poor stock, but in worldly goods only!

SeaThreePeeO said...

It's so frustrating when you search for an ancestors grave only to find there is no headstone. At least you have markers so tou know their location. At All Saints cemetery where I do most of my post all there is to guide you is a vague map that is on the outside of the cemetery gates.

Herding Cats

Halcyon said...

Those are very simple markers, but I like them. They seem to have stood the test of time well. I hope you found them! :)

CaT said...

independent compartment? that sounds interesting...!