Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Funerary Objet d'Art - Point Clare


in my first image yesterday, in my post about William and Rose Loaney, you would have seen two very small ceramic tea-pots, placed nonchalantly on the edge of the head-stone. Not far away, a row or two, I discovered this little beauty. There are actually two of them.



But what do they mean? Perhaps the Loaneys and the Vales were always up for a cuppa? One of the laterally wonderful things about these funerary objet d'art, is that they have not been pilfered! All theories welcome, even unrealistic ones ...


7 comments:

SeaThreePeeO said...

Beautiful wee dinky things. Maybe they belonged to a tea party club?

Beneath Thy Feet

Neil J Murphy said...

Seeing the holes punched throughout, my first thought is that they're incense burners.

VioletSky said...

the holes confused me, too. I was thinking maybe a candle holder, but the metal would be too hot for that, so maybe Neil has the right idea.

Julie said...

Oh yes, I had not thought of that. My one issue is that is is probably against cemetery regulations, being a fire hazzard and all. but next time I go, I will check to see if there is residue inside. Thanks for the heads-up, Neil.

Mark R said...

How very very curious

CaT said...

the tea party! hahaha!
well.... i think they just really liked tea, and family placed them there.
here in us in my neighborhood cemetery i saw often that people place a coffee-cup on the grave.... i should take a picture of that once... :)

CaT said...

but those cups are cardboard. not by far as nice as this, ofcourse! but what can you expect from the americans.. ;)